Wednesday, September 13, 2006

IstanBull

The recent violence in Istanbul has caused me to cancel the side trip I had planned there. Very disappointing, but clearly the only thing to do. Although the State Department hasn't issued a formal warning, they do give a pretty strong caution on their site. In addition, a friend of mine from that part of the world concurred that this is not a good time to go there. As result, I'll be spending an extra day and night in Athens. I'm sure I can make good use of it. The added hotel cost will be mostly offset by the avoidance of airport transfers. I'll be staying at the Divani Acropol as was already scheduled for the following night.

Other news is more pleasant. My ferries have been booked as has my rental car for Crete. George the Famous Taxi Driver has confirmed and has the changes on my schedule. I've started packing, but rather slowly.

The slow nature of the packing is due to uncertainty about the trip. The information on who is being laid off is due the second week of my trip. After a friend called to tell me she was losing her job, it all became very real and very scary. If there is a good chance I'll lose my job, I'll cancel the trip. It isn't reasonable to spend so much money when I may be out of work. In addition, I'd get paid for the two weeks as part of severance. If I haven't heard anything by tomorrow, I'm going to impose on my friendship with our Director's manager and ask if there is any reason I should cancel the trip. Will keep you posted. Please keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home